I enjoy being a girl. Lipstick, skirts that twirl, romantic movies with cliche happy endings – I love it. And, I’m a feminist.
Feminism is the radical idea that women are people, endowed by their creator with inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And the truth is, a glass of Pinot Grigio, a bubble bath, and some Colby Caillat makes me pretty darn happy. It also makes me, indisputably, a girl.
In college, I found it tried to reconcile that desire (academically) with my passion for women’s issues of equality, sexuality, and crime but I found the Gender Studies program sadly lacking in the feminine, until I found Fifth Wave Feminism.
Now, with any feminist movement I reserve the right to define my own politics – so I’m not buying their every plank. But, here’s the gist:
1. All men are not bad, all men are not good. People are people, and sometimes they make stupid choices and blame it on their gender, sometimes they blame it on ACDC.
2. One does not need to reject the feminine in order to be a feminist. I’m a feminist because I love all things quintessentially female I want to enjoy them, and still be able to beat you out for a promotion (then have you help me with my coat and buy me a drink).
3. I believe my body belongs to me. I believe in reasonable access to healthcare – whether that means birth control, affordable preventative care services, or reproduction.
4. I believe that a woman can do anything she is qualified to do and that her gender does not make her more or less qualified for any given role. Additionally, should she choose to invest her time in the building of a home and the rearing of children – she should have our respect, appreciation, and support.
5. I’m okay with the opening of doors, kind comments of appreciation that I’ve put effort into my appearance, and first dates who pick up the check. That said – this behavior does not obligate me to fetch you coffee, raise your babies, or have sex with you.
- Dear Fifth Wave Feminism (The New Agenda)
- Fifth Wave Feminism (John C. Wright)
- SWerfs/Terfs, the Westboro Baptist Church of feminism. (thevenusenvy.wordpress.com)
- 10 Signs that Feminism May Not Be For You (femborg.wordpress.com)